One of the most important items in Minecraft is a map. Continue reading to learn how to make a map in Minecraft. Discover how to make it into a map item as well.
Having a map in your inventory is certainly one of the most important things you can have in Minecraft. A map must be created in order to have one. Consequently, you need to know how to make a Minecraft map. This article will show you how to make a map of Minecraft.
In Minecraft, every adventurer needs a map because they’re just so helpful. You can always find your way around, whether you’re exploring the new caves in 1.18 or leaving your home castle. Their scope had been pretty limited for a long time, but their addition of the Cartography Table has transformed them into a much more useful resource.
In the following article, we will show you exactly how to create a map in Minecraft, as well as how to get a cartography table. We’ll also show you the two types of maps in the game and discuss third-party mapping tools if you’re interested in that kind of thing.
Make a map in Minecraft
Minecraft’s map feature is based on an original mechanic. Minecraft wants you to use a real map instead of a GPS mini-map or a static map in your menu.
Throughout history, cartographers explored new, unexplored lands to map them. The role of the cartographer in Minecraft is to explore new lands. Maps aren’t something you can access instantly, but instead, you have to “draw” them yourself by exploring the terrain.
Required Materials to Make a Map in Minecraft
Minecraft maps can be crafted from two main components:
Paper (9 Sugar Canes)
In your explorations of the game, chances are you’ve come across sugar cane even if you’re just getting started. In different biomes, such as deserts and swamps, you’ll usually find them near water sources, such as lakes, rivers, etc.
Paper is made from sugar canes in multiples of three, with a one-to-one ratio: one sugar cane equals one piece of paper. However, when you craft, you’ll need three pieces of paper for three sugar canes.
Crafting Paper Layout
- The first box in the middle row should contain one piece of sugar cane.
- The middle row of the middle column should contain another piece of sugar cane.
- Fill in the last box of the middle row with the final piece of sugar cane.
- You should now have three pieces of paper in your inventory.
After you’ve done this three times, you will have nine pieces of paper. Making a map only requires eight pieces of paper, and the ninth can be used for another project.
Compass (4 Iron Ingots + 1 Redstone Dust)
Additionally, if you don’t already have a compass, you will need to make one. At the bottom of the world, you can find iron ingots and Redstone dust, so get a pickaxe. It is recommended to get a pickaxe made of iron. Only by mining Redstone will you be able to get the compass.
The process of making a compass involves two steps once you have all the parts:
Step One – Crafting Ingots
Smelting those four iron ore blocks into ingots will be your first step.
- You can now access the furnace menu.
- A fuel source should be added to the bottom box.
- Over the fuel source, place one piece of iron ore.
- Your iron ore will be smelted in the furnace.
- In your inventory, drag the new iron ingots.
- Make four ingots by repeating the process.
Step Two – Craft a Compass
Now that you have all the components you need, you need to create your map’s compass:
- You can open the crafting table from the menu.
- In the center of the grid, place the Redstone dust.
- In the spaces surrounding the Redstone (above, below, left, and right), place the iron ingots.
- Add the new compass to your inventory by dragging and dropping it.
Crafting a map in Minecraft
It has taken you a long time to gather, mine, craft, and smelt your resources. You are now ready to create your map. Follow these steps to create your map:
- The crafting menu will appear.
- In the crafting grid, put the compass in the center box.
- Each of the nine empty slots surrounding the compass should contain a piece of paper.
- Fill your inventory with your empty map.
How to Use the Map
It’s time to set out on an adventure. You’ve crafted an “empty map”. You can’t make out anything on the map because it’s blank, and that’s not helpful to you. Yet do you still remember Minecraft’s unique map-creation mechanics? It’s time to get back to mapping.
You can use the map by equipping it from your inventory. You’ll see lines appear on the previously blank yellowed paper after you do this. As you watch, your map begins to take shape.
As you explore, you’ll notice that your map provides details about your surroundings. On the map, you’ll even be able to see your own face. All you need to do is look for the white marker.
You will no longer be able to label the map as an “empty map” once you have used it. To differentiate between filled and empty maps, the game assigns each a number.
What are Explorer maps?
An Explorer Map is a special kind of map that functions differently from a regular map. Explore Maps display an area where there is a rare structure: either a Buried Treasure, a Woodland Mansion, or a Monument to the Sea. An icon will always appear on the map to indicate the presence of the rare structure.
Crafting Explorer Maps is not possible. In order to acquire a Cartography Villager, you need Emeralds and a Compass. If you need Buried Treasure Maps, you can find them in the shipwrecks and underwater ruins.
When you look at the player marker on Explorer Maps you will always know where you are in relation to the map. The player marker appears on the map border if you are outside the boundaries of the map. If you get closer to the marker, it will grow larger. Like a normal map, you will be able to explore and fill in the map once you have passed the map boundary.
How to Expand the Map
Have you ever noticed that your map can be expanded four times? The more you explore the landscape, the bigger the map gets as you expand it.
Here are the steps to create a newly created and filled “Level 0” map:
- Open the crafting menu at your crafting table.
- Grasp the middlebox on the crafting grid with your current map.
- Eight pieces of paper should be placed in the empty boxes surrounding your map.
- The newly expanded “Level 1” map can now be found in your inventory.
The process, as mentioned before, can be repeated as many times as you like. It is possible to see blank areas on a map when you equip it each time you expand it. This is normal. They fill in with information as you explore.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I find existing maps in Minecraft?
Maps for Minecraft can be downloaded online. Websites such as Minecraft Maps and Planet Minecraft provide downloadable maps. You will need to use a file archiver program to extract .zip or .rar files.
How do I download and install maps in Minecraft?
Whenever you find a map you like, you can download and install it in Minecraft by following these steps:
Step One – Downloading a Map File
You simply need to click the “Download” button and give your computer permission to download the file. It may differ from one website to another where the “Download” button is located. In most cases, it appears on the map’s main page.
Step Two – Installing a Map
When you’ve downloaded the map, you’ll need to extract it and install it into your game. This is a two-step process, but it’s relatively straightforward.
Check out these steps for extracting the necessary files:
- With your file archiver, open the .zip or .rar file.
- A file named “level.dat” can be found in the “region” folder. Extraction of the folders to the desktop or another location is possible if you see the file.
- Look for the folder and file listed above in the folder called, “your_save” if you don’t see it. The entire folder can be extracted to your computer once you locate the correct folder and file.
It’s time to import the folders and files into your game once you’ve downloaded them to your computer. To complete this process, you will need two locations on your computer: the .minecraft folder and the folders/files you extracted earlier.
- You should copy the folder one folder above the one where “region” and “level.dat” are located in the extracted map on your computer.
- Locate the “.minecraft” directory. This may be located in different places on your computer. Default locations are the best place to start if you are not sure where to look:
Minecraft files are located in %APPDATA%\.Minecraft
The Minecraft application is in /Library/Application Support/Minecraft on Mac
- The “saves” folder can be found in the “.minecraft” folder. In it, all the worlds you have created are stored.
- Alternatively, you can copy and paste the map folders into the “saves” folder.
- Check both “region” and “level.dat” in the new folder to make sure they are all present under the “your_save” folder.
- Run the game and look for the new map in your list of worlds if everything is in order.
Practice some caution before you start browsing through the maps available for download on your favorite browser. Don’t download files from unknown sources and make sure your anti-virus software scans all files before opening them. Opening an infected file could prove more hazardous than you imagined if you want to explore new worlds.
Minecraft maps are available to download, but do you prefer to explore on your own? Share your thoughts in the comment section below.